Tuesday 14 October 2014

Module 3

I hope everyone has had a great summer and are ready to get back into the swing of module 3. 

During the summer I have been spending a lot less time on uni work than term time due to a busy work schedule but I made sure I definitely got some time in weekly to keep my topic constantly fresh in my head. I have mainly be concentrating on reading articles and literature that relate to my topic. I am currently trying to put together a literature review and I'll let you know more about it when I have completed it.

Over the 4 months of my job I made a few observations about dance injury and how people cope. 
  • Over the 4 months every dancer struggled with some sort of injury ranging from muscle ache to pulled muscles.
  • Not once did any of the dancers take any more time off than 1 dance in the show which particularly aggravated the injury.
  • None of the dancers sought out any help from a doctor, physiotherapist or psychologists during the length contract.
  • Most dancers resorted to ibuprofen gels, tiger balm and massage techniques in order cope with the injury during a show.
Having witnessed and also be part of these observations I feel I am growing a greater understanding of the psychological mind of a dancer and I think I can use my experience over the summer as good examples in my research.

Having observations is all good but now I need to get down to the hard written work so I need to get into my surveys, interviews and reviews. It seems like quite a lot but I am glad I had done so much planning last module as it has set me up well for now.

Good luck everyone for your next term and I look forward to seeing how you all get on.

x

2 comments:

  1. Rohanne thanks for your update - would be good to touch base with you - please get in touch for a talk about your work in Module 3. There is a blog up about the campus session - sounds like you have gathered some interesting data about injury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your inquiry sounds really interesting! I will be interested to find out what results you get from your inquiry, your work and observations you made over the summer will help you i'm sure! I am also working on my literature review :/ Good Luck x

    ReplyDelete