Friday 1 May 2015

Evaluation of Critical Review

Below is a summary of the process of creating my Critical so far.

Literature

  •  It is essencial to do plenty of research and I spent the first portion of module 3 sourcing, reading, watching and analysing literature on my topic.
  •  By allowing myself to research such a wide topic though I found literature from many different sources including, dance and sports psychologists, professional dancers, blogs, teachers and academics.
  • I quickly established that dance injury is a broad topic and my literature review helped me find out what I wanted to focus my Inquiry on. 
  • I divided my literature review into headings that then became the three themes of my inquiry, these are Accepting Injury, Pain Tolerance and Coping Mechanisms.
  • Created a list of questions about what I intended to find out during my inquiry.
Planning
  • Using my research and literature review, I planned my interviews and surveys. From my pilots I had done in Module 2 I was more confident to structure it in a way that would gather the most useful information.
  • I reached out to dancers I knew that fit the criteria for my interviews and ask if they were interested in taking part, I also explained he context of my Inquiry and ethical implications.
  • I reached out to several dance academics and psychiatrists as I intended to interview someone from an academic background. When I did contact someone we agreed to do a questionnaire due to time constraints and both our busy schedules.
  • I sent out consent forms to participants.
  • I reviewed my schedule, inserted dates of interviews.
Practical Research
  • I carried out my interviews, some over Skype others face to face, All of which were voice recorded to collect data.
  • I sent out my survey to my selected groups.
  • I send my questionnaire and collected my response.
Analysing data
  • I interpreted the data and typed up some rough notes including any similarities or differences in opinions that arose over different platforms. 
  • I found responses that stood out to me and compared them to my literature.
  • Looked at what my results meant, thought about whether my original questions were answered and at what questions arose.
Reflection
  • I thought about how this process has affected me.
  • What I have learned from this Inquiry.
  • What I want to find out in the future.
  • Where I want to go from here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rohanne, I like how you have organised your learning this way, I can only assume it helped greatly with your write up of your critical review. This post is also likely to be of great benefit to those who will read it in the future when they have undertaken their inquiry. I am aware of the context of your line of inquiry after taking part in numerous Skype discussions that also involved you. In terms of your reflection section and stemming purely from my own curiosity, where do you want to go from here now that you are armed with this new information??

    Pip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am still contemplating furthering my education into a masters although I need to get through this first and it would not be immediately as I am still working as a professional dancer. Currently I have no solid plans as to where I want to go from here but this inquiry has definitely got me thinking anyway. x

    ReplyDelete