Sunday 6 April 2014

5c - Reader 5

"Religion and law are both closely associated with morals and ethics."

It is interesting going into more detail about ethics and the above quote from reader 5 somes up something that reader 5 has really opened my eyes to. Having thought about personal ethics and my own understanding of ethics, I found it interesting learning more about the theories of ethics and how that can affect moral and ethical decisions. There are two main types of ethics which I understand.

Personal Ethics - Family Values, Conscience, Religions. These ethics help define you as a person. They can be affected by your upbringing and experiences throughout life.
Professional Ethics - Theres are the guidelines which are set in a professional environment which allow you to work in a comfortable and efficient manner.

The word ethics comes from the greek word ethos which means character. This links in a lot with personal ethics and it made me think about how your personal ethics really do affect your character and how come come across to another person. I think having good ethics makes you come across as a nicer person and people are more comfortable to be around you and friends with you.

One thing that really stood out to me in the reader were that there are a variety of overlapping opinions when it comes to ethics. A good way of showing this was shown the the table provided in the reader showing the approaches to lying. 


Action - Lying

Consequentialist:


Deontologist:
Virtue Ethicist:
could be acceptable for a
greater good

always wrong
moral behaviour &
character as important as
action


This table shows 3 opinions on the act of lying and how they differ from one another and I think that they can all apply to certain situations. I think that having these overlaps are good as it allows some variety in ethical codes as long as they are applied in the right situation. For example the reader uses the quote, 'To kill one person in order to save 9' when describing consequentialism, and for me in that this is understandable. But I feel that this is only appropriate in certain situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment