Friday 14 February 2014

Task 4a - Questions

So after having a little break from blogging lets get back into the swing of things and dive right into module two. 

It has taken me a lot of time to think about my inquiry and I am not 100% sure of the direction I am going to take it in but hopefully over this module it will become clearer. Reader 4 states that module 2 is designed to "explore a topic that will benefit your work and the work of colleagues and fellow professionals." When thinking about my topic I want to explore new aspects which I am not as familiar with that will hopefully cause me to grow as a professional and benefit me in the future as well as others around me.

I have noticed a lot of people on this course look into teaching as part of their inquiry and although I do teach and am very interested in this subject I have decided to steer my inquiry away from this and try and broaden my knowledge on other aspects of the dance world and look more into the psychology of dancers in different situations and stages in their career.

So to start that learning process I have come up with a few questions on a few different angles of my inquiry.

  • What are the main pressures for a dancer?
  • What are the psychological and physical effects of long term injury on a dancer?
  • How do dancers cope after finishing college and are put into the professional dance world without the securities of training?
  • How does being jobless/between jobs effect a dancer?
  • What methods can you use in order for a dancer to cope with the strains of the industry?
I understand my questions are not fully refined and but I need peoples help and comments to allow me to expand on these and create new questions and aspects to explore.

Thank you



4 comments:

  1. Hi Rohanne

    How are you? Have you seen this?

    http://napatnoon.blogspot.ae/2014/02/dance-psychology-week.html

    Might help?

    Take care

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rohanne

    These are great questions, and I feel I am too heading into the realm of the mental side of dance.
    There are so many pressures on a dancer, and I feel sometimes it is not fully understood how much some go through. And it amazes me how through all of it, injuries, rejection etc. we still carry on! There has to be a reason behind it.
    It is interesting to see how much in depth you can go into finding methods into helping a dancer cope with the pressures of the industry, and it is something I think about all the time! I guess one way to know is just by the sheer experience of it all, and also good training.
    Sometimes people are so fixated in one aspect of dancing (e.g.. fitness, strength training) that often the mental side of it is pushed to the side. Hopefully those people with all those experiences could somehow share them to the world more, creating awareness is key I believe!

    Hope this helped :)
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much. That Dance UK is really interesting an I am sure will be a great resource in my inquiry. Yeh I find psychology and interesting subject and the more I look into it the more interesting I find it and the more I want to know. I will let you both know if I find any interesting articles.

    Rohanne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,
    Good interesting questions. I agree with you that lots of people are choosing teaching, I have Aswell. I think it is more for me a reason that it is something I want to steer my career towards and researching it in detail will help me win my decision as to whether I go down this root. I hope to find out a lot so using this against the course will hopefully help me. I like your questions though p, they are very interesting and especially the long term effects for a dancer. This is one question I'd love to know more about because it could help me prevent injuries and pains in the future. I already have knee pains! I think you're other questions I can answer from being in the industry and being at college and leaving college. Also everyone deals with things in different way so the answers you get to some of your questions may be different depending on the individual they are for. For example, I know people that have coped 100% in the industry and then I know people that have struggled but both people have done the same things and been given the same opportunities. Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete